Leaked Paper Shows Disregard For Hundreds Of Thousands Of Vulnerable Kiwi Workers
new-zealand-council-of-trade-unions
Mon Dec 04 2023 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Leaked Paper Shows Disregard For Hundreds Of Thousands Of Vulnerable Kiwi Workers
Monday, 4 December 2023, 6:07 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Council of Trade Unions
A cabinet consultation paper provided to the New Zealand Council of Trade Unions by Newshub today, shows the incoming Government is disregarding the negative impact of repealing Fair Pay Agreements, and the advice of their own officials.
NZCTU President Richard Wagstaff said the paper shows the Government was ignoring the impact on workers in a cost-of-living crisis and reflected poorly on Christopher Luxon’s management of the policy.
“This demonstrates the profoundly out of touch priorities Christopher Luxon has for New Zealand. And already, it seems like he’s lost control of his cabinet.
“This Government has made a choice to prioritise cutting pay and conditions for hundreds of thousands of vulnerable Kiwi workers, by repealing the FPA Act.”
The paper outlines the process by which Fair Pay Agreements would be repealed. In one section, it outlined who would benefit from improvements to working conditions.
“Given [women, Māori, Pacific people, and young people] are disproportionately represented in workforces where there are lower employment terms, they could have disproportionately benefited from any improved terms obtained by an FPA.”
Wagstaff said Luxon was ignoring the evidence provided by officials about how damaging this move will be.
“By pushing forward with this, Luxon is taking money directly from the pockets of hundreds of thousands of hardworking Kiwis. This comes after last week, where the NZCTU discovered that the Government was prioritising paying out $3 billion for landlords.”
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
The paper also states that the NZCTU has been consulted on this process. Wagstaff said no proper consultation had taken place with the NZCTU.
“After campaigning to tackle the cost-of-living crisis, one of the first actions of this Government is to make it harder for many workers to get ahead, and to get the protections they deserve. It just proves what we said all along during our election campaign - that Christopher Luxon is out of touch.”
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand Council of Trade Unions on InfoPages.