Sunbed Dangers Highlighted Again
new-zealand-first-party
Tue Dec 06 2016 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Sunbed Dangers Highlighted Again
Tuesday, 6 December 2016, 3:59 pm
Press Release: New Zealand First Party
Barbara Stewart MP
Spokesperson for Health
6 DECEMBER 2016
Sunbed Dangers Highlighted Again
New University of Otago research shows the government was wrong to allow sunbed use to continue, says New Zealand First.
“Earlier this year, the government had a chance to ban commercial sunbeds under the Health (Protection) Amendment Bill but they ignored the evidence,” says Spokesperson for Health Barbara Stewart.
“The research shows the rates of skin cancer would reduce if sunbeds were banned. Sunbed use increases the chance of developing melanoma by 75 percent.
“The government took the soft option and only restricted the use of sunbeds to over 18-year-olds. But, there was overwhelming support for a total ban by those who made submissions during the select committee process.
“New Zealand has the highest incidence of melanoma in the world. In 2013, the Ministry of Health recorded 2,366 melanoma registrations and 232 deaths. These statistics demand bold action.
“The government should act now to address our appalling melanoma and skin cancer rates and follow the lead of other countries like Australia to ban sun beds,” says Mrs Stewart.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE1612/S00005.htm
ENDS
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand First Party on InfoPages.