Young Kiwis in the Regions Treated as Second-Class Citizens
new-zealand-first-party
Tue Nov 22 2016 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Young Kiwis in the Regions Treated as Second-Class Citizens
Tuesday, 22 November 2016, 3:11 pm
Press Release: New Zealand First Party
Rt Hon Winston Peters
New Zealand First Leader
Member of Parliament for Northland
Tracey Martin MP
Spokesperson for Education
22 NOVEMBER 2016
Young Kiwis in the Regions Are Being Treated as Second-Class Citizens
Massive cuts to funding for Northland’s NorthTec is yet another blow to tertiary education in New Zealand and one more attack on the regions, says New Zealand First.
“The National Government is putting a wrecking ball through the tertiary sector, forcing business models on once solid institutions and cutting their funding,” says New Zealand First Leader and Northland Member of Parliament Rt Hon Winston Peters.
“This week it is NorthTec’s funding halved - losing $2.3 million - and last week it was Telford, at Balclutha, the central agricultural training centre for Otago and Southland. It’s facing big jobs cuts, and a declining roll.
“Instead of focussing on young Kiwis first and the needs of the regions, the government prioritises their big city, big money spinner - export education - propping up private education providers. Much of it is not export education at all, just a New Zealand taxpayer rip-off.
“They don’t care the industry is riddled with corruption and exploitation and has low quality courses.
“NorthTec offered young Northlanders a second chance with courses in agriculture, construction, automotive engineering, horticulture and Te Reo Maori.
“Skilled farm workers are urgently needed; the government should never have allowed the situation at Telford to deteriorate the way it has,” Mr Peters says.
“New Zealand First Education Spokesperson Tracey Martin says many other tertiary education institutions besides NorthTec and Telford are struggling because of severe government funding cuts.
“It doesn’t make sense; the government is letting public and regional education run down while financially propping up private education providers who are making profits,” says Ms Martin.
ENDS
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand First Party on InfoPages.