Underfunding of Canterbury mental health services
new-zealand-labour-party
Tue Feb 16 2016 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Underfunding of Canterbury mental health services
Tuesday, 16 February 2016, 4:05 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party
16 February 2016
Minister must come clean on underfunding of Canterbury mental health services
Jonathan Coleman cannot go on claiming that Canterbury is not below the New Zealand average when it comes to funding mental health services, says Labour’s Health spokesperson Annette King.
“It’s clear that the Canterbury DHB received $222 per head in 2015/16, lower than the national average of $243 per head.
“Chief Executive David Meates told the Health Select Committee last week that they were under ‘unprecedented pressure’ from the Canterbury earthquakes and that was before Sunday’s 5.7 shake.
“This pressure will now increase with a further cut of $10 per head for mental health services in the coming year.
“The Minister has to listen to the people of Canterbury. He cannot go on claiming that the $16 million dollars he gave Canterbury last year could have been spent on mental health.
“That money, according to the CHDB, was already set aside to offset a budget deficit .
“Canterbury needs more funding. The problems of chronic underfunding are impacting on everyone from Canterbury’s women to the five year olds who are turning up to school with developmental issues, says Annette King.
ends
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.