Government continues to hide over Canterbury legislation
new-zealand-labour-party
Thu Oct 22 2015 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Government continues to hide over Canterbury legislation
Thursday, 22 October 2015, 3:30 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party
Megan
WOODS
Canterbury Spokesperson
22 October 2015
Government continues to hide over Canterbury legislation
The Government has again reduced the timeframe for Cantabrians to have their say, this time shortening the select committee process for the Greater Christchurch Regeneration Bill, says Labour’s Canterbury spokesperson Megan Woods.
“Just as with the ECan Bill only last week, the Government is once again denying Cantabrians the right to express their views on the future of their city and the rebuild process.
“The select committee is now required to report back next February, significantly reducing the opportunity for submissions and hearings.
“Gerry Brownlee has known for five years that the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Act expires in April.
“For him to speed up the process demonstrates the arrogance of this government. National is once more robbing people of their right for political gain.
“Again, I will be moving an amendment which would see the select committee report back to the House in March, restoring the full levels of consultation to ensure Cantabrians have a say,” says Megan Woods.
ends
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.