Green light from Labour for cancer screening programme
new-zealand-labour-party
Mon Apr 14 2014 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)
Green light from Labour for cancer screening programme
Monday, 14 April 2014, 12:29 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party
David Cunliffe
Labour Leader
14 April 2014
Green light from Labour for cancer screening programme
Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today committed to a national bowel screening programme, starting with extending the current service to the Southern and Waikato districts.
“Around 3000 New Zealanders develop bowel cancer each year and about 1200, or 100 a month, die from it.
“As Minister of Health in 2008 I pushed for the nationwide roll out of bowel cancer screening. Since then National has dragged the chain.
“It has said it will not make any decision on a national screening programme until the Waitemata pilot is completed and all monitoring and evaluation data has been analysed.
“But the results speak for themselves – more than 58,600 people completed a bowel screening test, more than 3200 went on to have a colonoscopy and cancer was detected in 129.
“If testing can prevent deaths there should be no prevaricating.
“Labour plans to begin the roll out next year, starting in Otago-Southland and the Waikato, areas which have a higher than proportionate bowel cancer death rate.
“Initially it will target those aged between 50 and 64, with a view to extending it to 74 in future in similar fashion to Labour’s breast screening campaign.
“The Waitemata programme will continue to screen 50 to 74 year olds.
“The cost across the three DHBs is $14 million a year from $2015/16.
“We will also set out an implementation plan to ensure the smooth roll out of the programme.
“Bowel cancer kills five times as many Kiwis each year than are killed on our roads. Screening results in at least a 15 per cent reduction in the death rate and can prevent 180 deaths a year.
“That’s why I am committed to getting this underway as soon as possible, and commencing a nationwide roll out within the first three years of a Labour Government,” David Cunliffe said.
ENDS
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.