We Are The University

University Of Canterbury 2013 Enrolments

university-of-canterbury

Fri Mar 08 2013 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

University Of Canterbury 2013 Enrolments

Friday, 8 March 2013, 2:35 pm
Press Release: University of Canterbury

8 March 2013

University Of Canterbury 2013 Enrolments

University of Canterbury Vice-Chancellor Dr Rod Carr says overall student enrolments for 2013 are not as high as the University had hoped for but first-year domestic student enrolments have stabilised, indicating future growth.

So far 2,613 full-time equivalent first-year domestic students have enrolled to study in 2013, compared to 2,605 at the same time last year.

In total 11,012 equivalent full-time students have enrolled to study in 2013 so far, compared to 12,046 for the same time in 2012. International full-fee paying student numbers are about 100 equivalent full-time students less than the same time in 2012.

Further enrolments normally occur as the year progresses, particularly for Semester Two.

Dr Carr says since the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes the University has made a significant commitment to recruiting students. This work will continue.

“We have always known that rebuilding student numbers would not be a one-year project and further efforts will be required in this area. That said, every one of our current students is important to us and we are committed to helping them succeed in their studies.

“We had said during the recent enrolment period that we were hopeful first-year student numbers would show no further decline, and that has indeed been the case.

“I would like to acknowledge the significant efforts of our staff in helping the University reach this achievement.”

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Dr Carr says a reduction in the number of returning domestic students was expected due to the flow-on effect of lower student numbers following the earthquakes. There will be a financial impact but the University is committed to providing students with world-class learning opportunities.

The University has been encouraged by the Government’s reassurances in the past week that it will provide funding support to aid its recovery.

Dr Carr says the University’s recovery strategy is based on a vision of the University being better than it had been pre-earthquakes.

“This year we will launch the new UC Quake Centre in partnership with some of New Zealand’s leading companies; we will establish a new Student Innovation Centre to help our innovative students develop their bright ideas; and we have established a new undergraduate Bachelor in Health Sciences qualification and new Masters degrees in Engineering Mathematics and Earthquake Engineering.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from University of Canterbury on InfoPages.