We Are The University

Tolley takes axe to quake-hit schools again

new-zealand-labour-party

Fri Sep 16 2011 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Tolley takes axe to quake-hit schools again

Friday, 16 September 2011, 3:52 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party

Clayton
COSGROVE
Earthquake Recovery Spokesperson

Tolley takes axe to quake-hit schools again

Cuts to education budgets could see some quake-ravaged schools forced to decide between hiring teachers or buying textbooks, says Labour’s Canterbury Earthquake Recovery spokesperson Clayton Cosgrove.

Education Minister Anne Tolley announced today that Government funding for 167 fulltime teachers would be cut from next year as rolls continued to fall following Christchurch’s earthquakes.

“Her sophistry around the figure is unbelievable. She is trying to tell us that losing 167 jobs does not mean the loss of 167 jobs because schools can choose to make up for the cut to teacher entitlements by using their operational budgets,” Clayton Cosgrove.

“If they do that, where does that leave them when it comes to purchasing things like textbooks or computers?”

“Just last month the Minister was telling these very same schools the Government wouldn’t be providing any extra funding for the repair of damaged amenities such as courts, swimming pools and paths, either, and that it couldn’t give any guarantees to early childhood centres – many struggling to stay open - over their current or future funding.

“Labour has been calling for stability in the sector since the initial quakes. With volatile rolls it may be more cost effective in the long-term to maintain current staffing levels rather than sending teachers packing, and then have to re-hire them when rolls pick up.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

“This is another slap in the face for an already reeling province. It is a massive blow to Canterbury. 167 teachers and their families are being forced to leave the area to find work elsewhere.

“How can Canterbury rebuild when the Government can’t even support schools? Families have enough disruptions in their lives at the moment. For many the one constant has been in the stability of schooling their children and now, thanks to erratic Government decisions, that is being denied,” Clayton Cosgrove said.

Authorised by Clayton Cosgrove, MP, Parliament Buildings, Wellington

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.