We Are The University

UC Earthquake Update Tuesday 14 June

university-of-canterbury

Wed Jun 15 2011 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

UC Earthquake Update Tuesday 14 June

Wednesday, 15 June 2011, 10:28 am
Press Release: University of Canterbury

UC Earthquake Update Tuesday 14 June

The University of Canterbury will not re-open tomorrow (Wednesday) but will progressively give general access to buildings from Thursday 16 June. It aims to re-open all buildings from 7.30am on Monday 20 June. Student accommodation is not affected, with all six Halls of Residence open and operating this evening.

Vice-Chancellor Dr Rod Carr says there were no building collapses on campus as a result of yesterday’s aftershocks. However, there has been some damage to buildings and to some electricity systems across campus. These electricity systems are essential to support life safety systems. Systematic checks are being made of all buildings to assess their readiness for use. With 240 structures on campus, this process will take some days to complete in full.

He says students are most interested in the impact of yesterday’s aftershocks on exam timetabling.

“We appreciate students and staff will be frustrated by uncertainty, and we are endeavouring to provide clarity as soon as possible.

“This morning the University met with the UCSA (University of Canterbury Students’ Association). We will continue to work closely with the UCSA as we consider these issues. College PVCs and Deans are currently considering options open to the University and are expected to make a recommendation tomorrow morning (Wednesday). The Senior Management Team will consider these recommendations and endeavour to make an announcement on exam timetabling by the end of tomorrow (Wednesday).

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Factors in the University’s decision making will include:

• Requirements for professional accreditation

• Entry requirements for Semester 2 courses

• Students’ need for a fair assessment that does not disadvantage them

• Availability of suitable facilities

• Students’ ability to undertake study and prepare for exams

• Student safety

• Grade point average calculations

• Ensuring eligible students can graduate

All assignments, projects and lab reports that were due in the week commencing 13 June or on 20 June are now all due by 5pm on 20 June.

“We are conscious of the stress our students are under and want to ensure that students are not disadvantaged. As previously advised, no student will be excluded from the University as a result of their academic performance in semester one.”

Dr Carr says the semester break will occur as scheduled from 26 June to 8 July, and that the University intends to re-open for Semester 2 as scheduled on 11 July.

Exchange students currently studying in Adelaide will be returning to Christchurch on 2 July. All exchange students will return to Christchurch for the beginning of Semester 2 on 11 July.

ends

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from University of Canterbury on InfoPages.