We Are The University

Arbitrary health cuts hurt South Auckland youth

new-zealand-labour-party

Thu Apr 14 2011 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Arbitrary health cuts hurt South Auckland youth

Thursday, 14 April 2011, 11:46 am
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party

Louisa
WALL
Labour List MP

14 April 2011 MEDIA STATEMENT

Arbitrary health cuts hurt South Auckland youth

It is utterly appalling that health services for secondary school students at Alfriston College, Papatoetoe High School and Tuakau College are being cut in a short-sighted attempt to save money, says Labour List MP Louisa Wall.

“It’s pathetic to think that an intervention that is highly successful will not be supported because Health Minister Tony Ryall thinks children attending decile 3 secondary schools are not needy enough,” said Louisa Wall.

“The Counties Manukau District Health Board is ending its $300,000-a-year funding of school-based health services in decile 3, 4 and 5 secondary schools from July 1.

“The Labour-led Government had previously expanded the service to include decile 1 – schools in the poorest community – through to decile 3. National will continue with decile 1 and 2 but will axe the service for decile 3.

“This action will reduce access to health services for many young people and will leave some pupils without easy access to healthcare. It is a lost opportunity for encouraging healthy lifestyles.

“This is a decision that has been forced on the Counties Manukau DHB by the Minister. The DHB had extended its programme, providing nurses and first aiders in decile 4 and 5 schools without specific funding from the Health Ministry. But they now have no choice but to cut the services they provide to secondary schools.”

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Access to primary health care is the best form of prevention but under this National Government we have seen the cost of afterhours care rise, home help for the elderly cut along with mental health and public health services, said Louisa Wall.

“Now frontline healthcare for young people is being scrapped. These services should be reinstated so that our young people continue to have access to vital health services,” said Louisa Wall.

ends

________________________________________

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.