We Are The University

UC progressive re-start begins Monday 14 March

university-of-canterbury

Fri Mar 11 2011 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

UC progressive re-start begins Monday 14 March

Friday, 11 March 2011, 5:52 pm
Press Release: University of Canterbury

University of Canterbury’s progressive re-start begins Monday 14 March

The University of Canterbury will begin delivering lectures on-site, off-site and online for more than 250 individual courses from next Monday (subs 14 March) as it commences its progressive re-start of academic delivery for the 2011 year following the 22 February earthquake in Christchurch. (Programme delivery details including times and venues can be found at www.canterbury.ac.nz).

“More programme delivery will be coming on-stream over the next two weeks and we intend to be delivering substantially all of our taught academic programmes within a month,” said University of Canterbury Vice-Chancellor, Dr Rod Carr.

“Marquees have been erected this week to provide interim teaching facilities on-campus for our programme delivery while we go through the very thorough five-step safety check process needed before buildings can be released for re-occupation for teaching, research and general activities.”

Dr Carr said that the University hoped to receive ‘warrants of fitness’ for 35 on-campus spaces today which should mean that they are fully compliant with the building code by next week.

“It is less than three weeks since the earthquake and the amount of work that staff and contractors have done so that the progressive re-start could begin next Monday has been enormous. We are all looking forward to progressively welcoming students back. More than 1,000 students will return to halls of residence this weekend.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

“While we are making progress in our progressive re-start programme we need to acknowledge the very real difficulties facing some of our staff and students and the wider community of which we are a part.”

Dr Carr said that it had been very heartening to see that the vast majority of the University’s students are committed to continuing their study programme with UC. “It has been truly extraordinary to see that less than 200 of UC’s total cohort of more than 14,000 enrolled students have withdrawn from UC and less than 300 have elected to go on an exchange to another New Zealand university for semester one. We are confident that the education that our 2011 student cohort will receive during their time with us will reward their confidence in us.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from University of Canterbury on InfoPages.