Unemployment rises again - new stats today reveal
new-zealand-labour-party
Tue Oct 12 2010 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Unemployment rises again - new stats today reveal
Tuesday, 12 October 2010, 5:16 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party
Unemployment rises again - new stats today reveal
Prime Minister John Key and his Deputy Bill English need to start being straight with the public over the stalling economy, Labour’s Deputy Leader and Social Development spokesperson Annette King said today.
“In new figures from the Ministry of Social Development, lodged with the Parliamentary Library today, the number of people claiming unemployment benefit (UB) jumped more than 2 per cent, or 1380, last month – to 65,281,” Annette King said.
“The rate at which more people are claiming UB is speeding up rather than slowing down. In August the increase was 850. Perhaps that’s why there was no media statement or public release of the report today from the Social Development Minister.
“The reality of these figures does not reconcile with Finance Minister Bill English comments at the end of September that unemployment had peaked.
“That was just the latest in a line of bold but empty claims on the economy coming from this government over the past year.
“John Key and Bill English claim unemployment has peaked, John Key said the recovery from the recession would be aggressive and Gerry Brownlee said three months ago that 170,000 new jobs would be created over the next four year.
“Where’s the evidence of any of this?
“While this government is busy mouthing the rhetoric, its counterpart over the Tasman is actually getting on with growing their economy, and creating thousands of well-paying new jobs.
“Last month alone, 55,800 full-time jobs were created in Australia.
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
“It is time John Key and his ministers stopped trying to pull the wool over Kiwis’ eyes. As each month goes by there is less not more work available, and for those who do have jobs, wages have flatlined.
“Today in the House, acting Social Development Minister Tony Ryall pulled a Paula Bennett-style swifty. He boasted that 5890 people came off benefits because they had found work. He didn’t say that 7769 others went onto benefits – a net increase of 1879.
“It is time the Government was straight up with the public,” Annette King said.
ENDS
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.