We Are The University

Second environmental backdown in two days

green-party

Wed Jul 21 2010 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Second environmental backdown in two days

Wednesday, 21 July 2010, 1:15 pm
Press Release: Green Party

21 July 2010

Second environmental backdown in two days

John Key’s Government has once again been forced to back down on an environmental issue thanks to the passionate protests of thousands of New Zealanders, the Green Party said today.

Environment Minister Nick Smith this morning announced a moratorium on new water takes from the threatened Hurunui River until October 2011.

“The Government had little choice but to put in a temporary stay of execution on the Hurunui after thousands of passionate Cantabrians made their voices heard on water and democracy in Canterbury,” Green Party Co-leader Dr Russel Norman said.

“This is a significant backdown from a Government that started the year saying it would fast-track new irrigation in Canterbury, and follows yesterday’s momentous mining backdown.”

The temporary ECan requested the Minister's approval for the moratorium earlier this week and will confirm it tomorrow. The controversial Hurunui Water Project, which would dam and extract water from one of the last unimpeded wild rivers in the South Island, is included in the moratorium.

“This is a welcome stay of execution for the Hurunui River and another victory for people power,” Dr Norman said.

“However we mustn’t forget that if the Government hadn’t run roughshod over democracy with the ECan Act we might have a water conservation order on the Hurunui River by now.

“Water conservation orders are like National Parks for rivers. John Key’s Government has given its handpicked unelected commissioners the power to make decisions about conservation orders on Canterbury rivers.”

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Dr Noman said the newly-formed Hurunui-Waiau zone committee had a responsibility to recognise the strong public support for protecting the Hurunui when it met to discuss water management in the area.

In addition to the widespread protests over changes to water conservation orders in the ECan Act, more than two thousand people marched through Christchurch last October to protest the proposed dams on the Hurunui.

“The message from the people of Canterbury is clear: we love the Hurunui and our other wild rivers and we want them protected.

“This moratorium shows the Government has been forced to backtrack. If we keep up the pressure we can still save the beautiful Hurunui for our kids and their kids to enjoy.

“John Key’s Government now has until October 2011 to permanently protect the Hurunui. This should be around the same time as the general election, so the people of Canterbury can use their votes to show what they think if they fail to do so,” Dr Norman said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from Green Party on InfoPages.