Night class cuts to be revisited
new-zealand-labour-party
Wed Mar 24 2010 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Night class cuts to be revisited
Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 9:42 am
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party
Night class cuts to be revisited at select committee
Today at the Education and Science Select Committee, Maryan Street, Labour’s Spokesperson on Tertiary Education, will be speaking to the petition in her name and on behalf of 51,089 other signatories, seeking the reinstatement of last year’s funding cuts to night classes run through high schools.
“The government’s cut of $13million from the $16million Adult and Community Education budget is having its effects felt this year, so it is opportune that this petition should come before the select committee now, and before the 2010 Budget is finally decided,” said Maryan Street.
“Where there were 212 high schools offering a wide variety of night classes this time last year, there are now only 24. There used to be 220,000 people availing themselves of these low cost, accessible post-compulsory opportunities. Now there are whole parts of New Zealand which have lost this vital infrastructure,” she said.
“It is not too late for the government, especially under the new Minister for Tertiary Education, to revisit that budget cut,” she said.
The petition is set down on the select committee’s agenda for 10.50am – 12.10pm in Select Committee Room 3, Parliament House.
ENDS
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.