We Are The University

Inquiry proposed into ACC cuts

new-zealand-labour-party

Mon Nov 16 2009 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

Inquiry proposed into ACC cuts

Monday, 16 November 2009, 11:24 am
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party

15 November 2009
Media Statement

Inquiry proposed into impact on health services of ACC cuts

ACC cut backs will place an increasing strain on health services which is why Labour will seek a select committee inquiry into this issue, Labour Health spokesperson Ruth Dyson says.

“So far National has cut back ACC funded elective surgery resulting in more people being placed on hospital waiting lists, diagnostic procedures like MRIs have had funding cuts and part-charges for physiotherapy will result in fewer people taking part in rehabilitation.

“Elderly New Zealanders have also had their access to falls prevention cut, meaning that increasing numbers will be hospitalised following falls,” Ruth Dyson said.

“These cut backs have a financial impact on health services but also mean resources that would previously have been provided by ACC must now be found by hospitals. It is therefore essential that we allow health professionals, members of the public and other organisations to have their say on what the full impacts of the ACC cut backs are.

“I will propose on behalf of the Labour Party that a health select committee inquiry be held on both the resourcing and financial implications of reducing ACC services.

“Given the National Party’s claims that it is committed to improving health services I would expect the Government MPs to support holding an inquiry.

“We know the implications of ACC cut backs will be increased workloads for frontline doctors and nurses, but we need to ensure that the full impact of the changes planned by the National Government are being catered for in the health sector.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

“ACC Minister Nick Smith has said he needs to make cut backs to save his department money, but in reality the health sector will simply end up picking up the tab for many of these changes,” Ruth Dyson said.

Health cuts since coming to office
February 2009
• Pies back on the menu in schools
March 2009
• Taranaki DHB has publicly signalled that its hospital is preparing for cut backs. Taranaki Daily News 10 March 2009
April 2009
• Southland and Otago DHBs have confirmed they are cutting home support services to reduce costs. The Boards were looking to make savings of up to $10 million by reducing home support services for elderly.
May 2009
• Cut anti-obesity, oral health and mental health targets
• National have taken $2.3 million out of cancer control. Budget 2009
• Slashed the diabetes ‘let’s get checked’ budget by $4.8 million each year. Budget 2009
• Cut $3 million from the cardiovascular disease budget. Budget 2009
• Mental Health services have also had their funding cut. Budget 2009
June 2009
• Whanganui DHB has said it will be closing hospital wards on weekends to save money on nursing overtime. “ Hospital looks to close wards at weekends” Wanganui Chronicle 26 June 2009
• Post-budget Treasury documents show that primary health and health promotion services that target specific health conditions have had funding cuts of $37 million this year.
• Tony Ryall this year signed off on a 6.5 per cent increase in GP fees, the largest increase since fees came in.

• The Fruit in Schools programme which currently provides 100,000 children with fresh fruit each day is under threat.

• Mid Central DHB makes cuts $10 million cuts Manawatu Standard.
July 2009
• South Canterbury DHB has said it will be reducing the amount of patients seen in its Emergency Department by up to 5000 people a year.
• SCDHB has also signalled that it is looking to reduce the number of patients using radiology services.

• The DHB also confirmed that it would be axing up to 200 elective operations per year because of a cut in Government funding.

August 2009
• Cuts to elderly care in South Canterbury.

• Sport fit coordinator jobs at risk.
• Waikato DHB has frozen clinician jobs.
• Dunstan Hospital reduces community physio and disability home support
• Dannevirke outpatient cuts.
September 2009
• Mental health funding on chopping block - $2million chopped in Nelson.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.