We Are The University

Govt must tackle overbridge danger

new-zealand-national-party

Tue Jun 13 2006 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Govt must tackle overbridge danger

Tuesday, 13 June 2006, 2:12 pm
Press Release: New Zealand National Party

Paul Hutchison National Party MP for Port Waikato

13 June 2006

Govt must tackle overbridge danger

The Government must act now to stop more deaths occurring as a result of objects being thrown off motorway overbridges on State Highway One, says the National MP for Port Waikato, Paul Hutchison.

"On Sunday night, my neighbour was driving along the motorway when his vehicle was struck by a heavy object which shattered the windscreen," says Dr Hutchison.

"The object was so large it could easily have caused his death. He was incredibly lucky to escape uninjured.

"When he phoned the police they said a similar incident had been reported earlier that evening.

"Last year, a man died due to the utter irresponsibility of a child on an overbridge hurling missiles onto the traffic below.

"The Government must act immediately to better protect the public. While they continue to do nothing, people will be put in danger," says Dr Hutchison.

ENDS

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand National Party on InfoPages.