We Are The University

Two-faced Hodgson caught out on electives

new-zealand-national-party

Thu Apr 06 2006 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Two-faced Hodgson caught out on electives

Thursday, 6 April 2006, 10:40 am
Press Release: New Zealand National Party

Two-faced Hodgson caught out on electives

Health Minister Pete Hodgson has been caught out being two-faced on the elective surgery crisis, says National Party Health spokesman Tony Ryall.

"While today defending the Government's record on elective surgery, Mr Hodgson has been threatening greater controls over most of the major DHBs because of poor performance in elective surgery,” says Mr Ryall.

In Parliament today, Mr Hodgson confirmed that the Government last week wrote to key DHBs berating their performance in elective surgery and threatening to institute ‘intensive monitoring’ regimes.

He confirmed letters had been sent to the following DHBs: Auckland, Waitemata, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay, MidCentral, Capital and Coast, and Canterbury.

“These letters make a mockery of Mr Hodgson’s defence of the Government’s elective surgery policy,” says Mr Ryall. “If everything is so good, then why have they written these letters?

“The extraordinary letter, headed ‘Elective Services Patient Flow Indicators’, talks about a lack of satisfactory progress in meeting agreed elective surgery targets.

“These targets include numbers of patients seen, how long they have been waiting, how many are languishing in ‘active review’, and how many are sick enough to get an operation but can’t get one.

“It calls on the DHBs to take steps to remedy the shortfall. For different DHBs it points out areas of particular shortfall.

“The Ministry of Health has formally advised DHBs that unless they increase their elective surgery performance, they risk being put under ‘intensive monitoring and intervention’. This will see the Ministry having a greater say over how the DHBs operate. Local control will be out the door.

“Mr Hodgson told Parliament last month that 96,000 people received elective surgery in 2005, down from 98,000 five years earlier. Yet he continues to defend the Government's performance,” says Mr Ryall.

Ends

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand National Party on InfoPages.