We Are The University

Justice Ministry should be prosecuted for bungle

new-zealand-national-party

Wed Oct 12 2005 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

Justice Ministry should be prosecuted for bungle

Wednesday, 12 October 2005, 6:13 pm
Press Release: New Zealand National Party

Nick Smith National Party MP

12 October 2005

Justice Ministry should be prosecuted for Family Court bungle

Nelson MP Nick Smith wants the Ministry of Justice prosecuted for publishing on its website sensitive Family Court information in which a family and children could easily be identified.

"This is a serious breach that undermines the confidence of tens of thousands of families who use the court," says Dr Smith.

"The Solicitor-General last year saw fit to prosecute TV3, Radio New Zealand and myself for revealing far less information about a case.

"The family concerned are outraged that very personal information about their relationship and finances was put up on a public website when they could easily be identified. The website uses their initials, ages, the town they lived in, and the specific small business they ran together. The family was alerted by someone who immediately identified them from the government website."

Section 139 of the Care of Children Act makes a person liable for a term of imprisonment of up to three months or a corporate a fine of up to $10,000 for publishing any report that includes particulars that are likely to lead to the identification of a family.

The Family Court section of the www.justice.govt.nz website is fronted by Chief Family Court Judge Peter Boshier. The decisions part of the site was disabled last weekend with the statement 'access to decisions on the website have been disabled temporarily to affect some necessary changes'.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

"We cannot have the Ministry of Justice breaking the law. For the Solicitor-General to prosecute the media and an opposition MP but ignore this blatant breach by the Government would drag the integrity of our justice system down to that of Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe," says Dr Smith.

Dr Smith has today written to the Solicitor-General on behalf of the family detailing the breach and seeking a prosecution.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand National Party on InfoPages.