We Are The University

Transport plan for Canterbury welcomed

new-zealand-labour-party

Tue Feb 01 2005 13:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

Transport plan for Canterbury welcomed

Tuesday, 1 February 2005, 9:01 am
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party

Clayton Cosgrove
Media Statement
Member of Parliament for Waimakariri
Chairperson, Finance & Expenditure Select Committee

31 January 2005

Transport plan for Canterbury welcomed

Six new major roading projects in and around Christchurch and a move forward for Christchurch Southern Motorway Extension are included in Transit’s new draft 10-year State Highway Plan.

Waimakariri MP Clayton Cosgrove said the indicated projects are another signal of ongoing investment to improve the region’s transport infrastructure. He’s especially pleased to see the Southern Motorway Extension move forward to a 2008/09 start from the previous 2010/11.

Transit issues a draft ten-year plan for state highways every year for consultation before it is finalised. The major projects in its Canterbury plan are:

Project Value Start
Chch Traffic Demand Management implementation $3m 2006/07
Christchurch Southern Motorway Extension $72.8m 2008/09
Sawyers Arms to Memorial Ave 4-laning $9.9m 2009/10
Memorial Ave to Yaldhurst Rd 4-laning $10.3m 2011/12
Yaldhurst Rd to Waterloo Rd 4 laning $4.1m 2011/12
Chch Northern Arterial Route $20m 2014
Okarahia North realignment $3.4m 2014

Mr Cosgrove said he was pleased to see Transit stating it also has long-term plans to construct a bypass of Woodend on SH1 and to four-lane SH71 to Rangiora.

“This is in addition to the approximately $12 million dollars already being spent on the four-laning of the Styx Bridge on Main North Road which is expected to be completed later this year. This is another indication that the government recognises Canterbury as a growing and go-ahead region, which needs good roads, rail and other transport links.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

“The government decision in late 2003 to dedicate $252.2 million in transport funding for our region over the next decade is starting to pay real dividends for Canterbury’s transport network.

"This government is backing its commitment to improving the region's transport with action. This is what sets the government aside from it’s opposition, who last year voted against the extra $252.2 million for transport in the region over the next ten years."

Mr Cosgrove says the Transit plan is only a draft and encouraged local authorities, farming/ commercial organisations and anyone else to now have their say. Copies of the draft plan at: www.transit.govt.nz

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.