We Are The University

No further action on age and gender bias claim

university-of-canterbury

Thu Sep 30 2004 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

No further action on age and gender bias claim

Thursday, 30 September 2004, 5:35 pm
Press Release: University of Canterbury

30 September 2004

HRC advises no further action on university age and gender bias claim

The University of Canterbury has been advised this week that the Human Rights Commission will be taking no further action in relation to a complaint of age and gender bias.

A senior lecturer, Dr Sue Newberry, claims she was the victim of bias and her professional development had been impeded.

In advising the University that it was taking no further action, the Commission said the complainant has the right to refer her complaint to the Director of Human Rights Proceedings, who would decide whether to represent her in proceedings before the Human Rights Review Tribunal.

She also has the option of pursuing her case privately.

Canterbury University Vice-Chancellor, Professor Roy Sharp, says Dr Newberry’s claims have been considered exhaustively by the University’s previous and current Director of Human Resources.

The University considers its promotional and review processes to be fair and equitable.

With further proceedings pending, the University will be making no further comment on the matter.

ENDS

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from University of Canterbury on InfoPages.