We Are The University

Beehive Bulletin For Week Ending Friday 20 June

new-zealand-labour-party

Fri Jun 20 2003 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Beehive Bulletin For Week Ending Friday 20 June

Friday, 20 June 2003, 3:35 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party

BEEHIVE BULLETIN FOR WEEK ENDING
FRIDAY 20 JUNE 2003
----------------------
Also Available On-Line
http://www.labour.org.nz

Border Security Bill introduced

Making New Zealand, its trade and trading partners, safer from terrorism and trans-national crime is central to the Border Security Bill, introduced to Parliament this week. Customs Minister Rick Barker says the Border Security Bill is part of the strengthening of New Zealand's national security in the post-September 11 environment. The bill enhances Customs ability to collect and analyse electronic information about goods and people traveling into and out of New Zealand. It assists government and industry to work together to secure goods from the point of loading to export, as is already being required by the United States, with other nations expected to follow.

Wira Gardiner to chair Te Mangai Pahao

Wira Gardiner is to become chairman of the Maori Broadcasting agency, Te Mangai Paho after last month taking on the interim position following the resignation of Toby Curtis. Maori Affairs Minister Parekura Horomia says he is delighted Wira Gardiner will start a 12-month term on 1 July. Parekura Horomia says it's an important time for Maori broadcasting and Wira Gardiner will bring some certainty to the industry while providing a solid platform for TMP to maintain robust and transparent processes.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Government to appeal test immigration case

The government is appealing the High Court ruling on the test case brought by the New Zealand Association for Migration and Investment. The case centred on changes last November to immigration policy requirements for the issue of Job Search Visas (JSV). The High Court ruled that, despite relating to the grant of temporary entry (work) permits, the JSV was part of government residence policy. Immigration Minister Lianne Dalziel says it is necessary to appeal the decision as it blurs what has previously been a clear policy line between temporary entry and permanent residence.

Submissions on fee maxima

Fifty-five submissions have been received on the proposed fee and course costs maxima system that will regulate tertiary fees from 1 January 2004. Submissions were received from student representatives, tertiary education sector bodies, polytechnics, colleges of education, private training establishments and universities. Associate Education (Tertiary) Minister, Steve Maharey says the submissions will considered as part of the process of finalising the fee and course costs maxima which is due to occur at the end of July.

Big drop in car conversion and theft

Rates of car conversion and theft from cars have dropped dramatically in the last eight years, police figures show. Police Minister George Hawkins says recorded car conversion offences nationally totalled 50672 in 1995, compared with 38824 in 2002. Recorded theft from vehicles is virtually static. A range of factors, including close circuit television monitoring of parking areas and more police activity contributed to the fall, says George Hawkins. Fewer cars were also being left unoccupied with the keys in the ignition or with valuables able to be seen.

Social entrepreneurs recognized

Community 'movers and shakers' in many regions have been recognized by the Social Entrepreneur Fund. Of the 200 people who applied to the fund, 51 community champions have been successful in gaining support for activities which range from therapeutic theatre for hardened prison inmates to researching the use of Maori land for native plants and lavender farming. Social Development and Employment Minister Steve Maharey says it is time to invest in people who can make a real difference and who can inspire others to find solutions to health, education, social and employment problems.

Programme gathers PACE

More than 1,200 beneficiaries have found work with help from the Pathways to Arts and Cultural Employment (PACE) programme since it began in November 2001. The PACE scheme enables registered job seekers to identify the creative industries as their first career choice and to train towards this objective. Social Development and Employment Minister Steve Maharey and Associate Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Judith Tizard say after a period of initial development the PACE scheme has settled in and is achieving good employment outcomes.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}

Using Scoop for work?

Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.

Join Pro Individual Find out more

Find more from New Zealand Labour Party on InfoPages.