NZ First Calls For Support For The Warriors
new-zealand-first-party
Thu Mar 23 2000 12:00:00 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)
NZ First Calls For Support For The Warriors
Thursday, 23 March 2000, 5:43 pm
Press Release: New Zealand First Party
NZ FIRST CALLS FOR SUPPORT FOR THE WARRIORS
New Zealand First has called on all New Zealanders to throw their weight behind the Auckland Warriors in their game against Sidney City at Ericsson Stadium on Sunday.
The leader, Rt Hon Winston Peters, said that the establishment of the Warriors as a full time professional team in one of the toughest competitions in the world was a major step for Rugby League in this country.
“The code represents an ideal for thousands of young New Zealanders, and it gives some of them opportunities which would have otherwise not existed.
“We should stop knocking our sports teams when they go through a streak of misfortune and we should remember that the Warriors are in one of the hardest sports arenas of any code.
“They have been unlucky in a couple of games and they have been without Stacey Jones, their key play maker, for all games so far this season,” said Mr Peters.
ENDS
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
a.supporter:hover {background:#EC4438!important;} @media screen and (max-width: 480px) { #byline-block div.byline-block {padding-right:16px;}}
Using Scoop for work?
Scoop is free for personal use, but you’ll need a licence for work use. This is part of our Ethical Paywall and how we fund Scoop. Join today with plans starting from less than $3 per week, plus gain access to exclusive Pro features.
Join Pro Individual Find out more
Find more from New Zealand First Party on InfoPages.